The boating on the Lot river knew its golden age in the 17th and 18th centuries: it was at that time an essential traffic lane when the roads and bridges were rare, not to say nonexistent. Boats as well as barrels, built on site, allowed the business of wine, flour and local handicraft to supply Bordeaux's large port and the sugar islands. On the way back, spices, salt, silks and dried fish used to go up the river. The successive wars, Bordeaux's decline and the railway's advent in 1869 condemns the freight transportation. The Lot stopped being considered as a navigable river in 1926. For a few years, the locks were rehabilitated, which allowed house boats and barges to take over this river.